Hopkins Bench and Trees

Independent Research Abroad

TIP: Remember to always respect the academic environment of other countries. Be explicit about the kind of research position you are looking for when contacting researchers at other universities. For example, in Europe, there is a highly established system of recruiting European students for research that you might be infringing upon. Therefore, you will want to explain that you are interested only in assisting or observing the project.

Archeological Findings

Finding research abroad is much like finding research at Johns Hopkins. It involves a lot of initiative on your part.

Most students find research abroad by talking with their professors. Many professors have colleagues researching similar topics in other countries, and by talking with them, you can get connected to professors at foreign universities. Upperclassmen may even be able to apply for direct matriculation to other universities for a semester of research.

There are specific programs that can help you do international independent research. SIT Study Abroad has semester and summer programs in Africa and Latin America that involve direct research and case studies in Public Health and Anthropology. Another program, EURO Scholars, provides opportunities for students to spend a semester as a junior researcher at some of the top scientific institutions in Europe. These are just a couple of the various programs students would be eligible to apply for.

SIT Study Abroad: http://studyabroad.sit.edu/

Euro Scholars: http://euroscholars.eu/

Once you've obtained your research position, meet with Dr. Lori Citti, Director of Study Abroad. You will need to complete the International Research/Independent Study form and provide Johns Hopkins with emergency contact information. You will also need to sign the Student Assumption of Risk and Release form. Both of these forms are available on the Forms page.

Before you leave for abroad you will want to look into getting international insurance. Johns Hopkins automatically provides International SOS, a medical healthcare and security services insurance that can direct you to medical centers in foreign countries. To learn more visit their website: https://www.internationalsos.com/

For additional information about international research opportunities, visit The Office of Study Abroad in Levering Annex or their website: http://web.jhu.edu/study_abroad/index.html

Hopkins-Sponsored Undergraduate International Research Project Registration Form and Assumption of Risk Statement – Independent Research Form (pdf)