Gilman Quad


ATTENTION NEUROSCIENCE STUDENTS: There are different academic and registration requirements to receive credit for neuroscience research. For more information, click here.

To register for research, you will first need to find a faculty sponsor. A faculty sponsor is a full-time faculty member in either the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering. Your faculty sponsor is responsible for determining the appropriate academic product (i.e., paper, journal, class presentation, etc.) you will present for grading and will submit your grade and award credits at the end of the term. The academic product you will produce is determined at the time of registration, not after you have completed the experience.

Please keep in mind that if you will be working in a lab your principal investigator (PI) may not necessarily be your faculty sponsor. Furthermore if your research will be conducted at the Medical School, your faculty sponsor must be a Homewood faculty member and not from the Medical School campus.

Gilman Quad

Once you have found a faculty sponsor you will need to complete and sign the "Undergraduate Research Form" available in the Office of Academic Advising and the Registrar's Office. The form is due to the Registrar by the end of the drop period.

Research can be done for 1 to 3 credits and the amount of credit to be earned is determined by the scope of the proposed project and expectations of the academic product to be submitted for grading. You are allowed to earn up to 6 credits total per academic year (which begins in the summer) of "independent work" including research, independent study, and internship. This can be done during summer, fall, intersession and spring terms.

Research for credit may be done elsewhere but like research done here at Johns Hopkins, you must have a JHU Homewood faculty sponsor. If you plan to do research elsewhere during the summer, regular summer session registration deadlines must be followed.