Exceptions to Academic Policy
Exceptions to academic policies are granted only when circumstances exceed a student's control.
Ignorance or forgetting details of policy do not warrant an exception or waiver of policy.
Academic policies are documented in the Academic Catalog, which is available on-line: http://e-catalog.jhu.edu/undergrad-students/academic-policies/.
To request an exception to academic policy, please e-mail your request to Dean James Fry, email@example.com. Your request requires information in the following format:
- Subject Field: "Request for Exception"
- Full name
- Hopkins ID (assigned by JHU- not your Social Security number)
- JHED ID (your first initial, last name and a number)
- Year of Study (freshman, etc.)
- Cell phone number
- Major(s)/ minor(s)
- The relevant policy (e.g. add deadline, withdrawal deadline, change to S/U grading, etc.)
- Course number/s and class instructor/s, if relevant
- Semester and year request pertains to (Fall 2008), not the date of your request
- Explanation of events or conditions prompting this request.
You must fully explain why this exception is deserved. Provide a detailed narrative of events, a description of a serious medical condition (including documentation), or an explanation of other conditions which prevented compliance with academic policy.
Note: Dean Fry must consider whether granting your petition would set an equitable and reasonable precedent for other students. Is it fair to grant you an exception if/when other students must follow policy? If not, the conferral of an exception is unlikely.
Dean Fry will review your request, contact you and/or faculty for additional information or verification if necessary, and inform you by e-mail of his decision.